Unsocialized Generation Y


I have been MIA from Kuching these few days to attend some courses about management. During the course, the professor (who lived in Germany for some years) mentioned how the Germans would call a person who acts without considering the feeling of others. When a typical Asian would call these kinds of people “lack of family education” Aka, “bo kah si”, or “没家教”; a German would call them “Unsozial” Aka “unsocial” because cavemen formed a society and become human they can help each other, and being “unsocial” meaning to say they are not “socialized”, another way to say “inhuman”.

How you would react if somebody says you are Unsocial


“what’s unsocial”? is it my update my FB less frequent?…

How you would react if same person says you are Inhuman, or "Boh Kah Si"
"sadhiuayfudsafhgydw"

"oh sorry I guess my lack of education has led me kicking the wrong ball..."


Coincidentally, I happened to encounter an unsocial kid during my journey back to Kuching from Singapore…. To prevent accidental damage of my laptop and camera while the air plane taxing, I carried my Laptop bag with me and following the instruction of the steward I have put my bag beneath my seat (I am sitting at first row) . A pair of young Singaporean couple sits behind my seat, the guy pushed my bag and before I have time to react, he yelled unhappily “why is there a bag here? Why is there a bag in my compartment!?"

I adjusted my bag (to the kind steward’s request) , he apparently still haven got over with it and yelled, “I can’t understand why is there a bag at my compartment!? It is MY COMPARTMENT” His girlfriend (who apparently is more educated) asked him to share the place as there are still plenty of place to put his backpack at her compartment. He answered "why should I share my place? it is my compartment!! " his girlfriend asked then where should the guy in front put his stuff, he pointed the head compartment.


And this is what I wished I would have done to him at that spot of time...
U like your compartment? Say hello to my compartment!!

And say hello to my chinese KungFu... HaiYa!

Now you can choose to jump off the plane from left, or from right.

But It did not happened as I am too whimp to do that a highly educated civilized person. I just took a glance to them, and found out they are couples around 20 to 25. The girl noticed and said to his little boyfriend :" Stop arguing with me , you are embarrassing me "... Thank god the kid is with an educated woman...

Well I have to say it certainly did not have to ended it that way... be it it is his first time taking plane, or he really liked his compartment... Kid, if you had asked, I would gladly give up my place and put it aside.. you do not have to go and make a big fuss around to show how douche and uneducated you are...If you really like people treat you like your parent and have all the personal space you can have, try taking classy airline first class and you can enjoy things like these:

Oh here is your personal compartment

oh here is more personal compartment to you...

and your private stewardess at your command..

Triggered me to think, during my course many bosses (the generation Xs) of the company complained to me how the new generation of workers (the generation Ys) cannot meet their expectation and job requirement. According to the Gen Xs, Gen Ys are Lazy, Lousy, Greedy, Swagerring, self-centric, childish,job hopper,disrespectful to others (for an example, that kid actually is peeking at my computer now as I blog, invading my "personal space" lol) , can't work independently... and the list goes on. 

If the above list really applies to all the new generation, we are doomed...

As a generation Y ( which I never ashamed of), I have to admit we have a lot of problem on us. But that does not mean we are gonna destroy the future society. I personally thinks that Gen Y just need some fine tune... or maybe also some fine tune on work place environment for them to work more efficient...

Here is some of the fine tune which I can think of:


Laziness: lazy ppl tends to find easy solution for difficult problem. Don't teach them your solution and ask them follow, give them problem and the rules of the game and let them perform. The tech savvy them might surprise you with something.

Greedy: "greed is good" as we know it, utilizing greed of a person to let them work for themselves and for you.

Swagerring: a sign of attention seeker, Generation Y craves for attention, yes we do.We appreciate being kept in the loop and seek frequent praise and reassurance so that we feel important. Use this point wisely and it can benefit the team.

Self-centric, Job Hopping and Disrespecful: Generation Y is confident, ambitious and achievement-oriented. They have high expectations of their employers, seek out new challenges (something can be used) and are not afraid to question authority (that is why protest is getting more frequent). Which if controlled properly, will encourage innovation. Generation Y wants meaningful work (corporate culture comes into play) and a solid learning curve.

Team Orientated: Generation Y grown up in team sports, play groups and other group activities. They value teamwork and seek the input and affirmation of others. Part of a no-person-left-behind generation, Generation Y is loyal, committed and wants to be included and involved.

For those who is a Gen Y, I hope we can learn our weakness and improve ourselves, prove ourselves...
Unsocialized Generation Y Unsocialized Generation Y Reviewed by Sin Tan on 08:11 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.